Sunday, June 6, 2010

Zombies Ate My Neighbors


Zombies Ate My Neighbors [renamed just "Zombies" due to -sigh- censorship issues in Europe and Australia] is an older game from Nintendo's golden years [as the game was released in 1993] and is an old-school run and gun developed by LucasArts, and published by Konami.
I'm a bit biased toward the game, because it was my first. [teehee] I remember playing it on the SNES when I was a kid, so to play it again has been awesome. Typically games from when you were a kid aren't as good as you remember them, trust me, Bloody Roar 2 wasn't. [haha] But this game has been as awesome as I remember it being when I was younger. <3
Anyway, I can't really think of anything I dislike about the game. Hmmmm... Well, there is an issue with the neighbors um not coming back, I suppose. Example - You begin with 10 neighbors in each level, and as things, whether they be zombies or giant babies [I'll explain], will kill them. If you lose a neighbor they don't come back. This does, however make it challenging. But I also discovered [or re-discovered, rather] that the codes you get at the end of certain levels put you with the same amount of neighbors that you died with, so if you only had like one neighbor to rescue and you died, you put in the code, and you can start out again... with one neighbor. Otherwise, [if that's even a "flaw"] this game is pretty awesome.
The level's names typically make fun of things from the late 80's and early 90's [and possibly the 50's too judging by the cover art and some monsters.] Speaking of monsters, this game does have its variety of them including vampires, werewolves, blob-creatures, aliens, pod-people, giant ants, "snakeoids," and enormous babies. [The last two being... "bosses" kind of]
Oh, and your choice of weapons and items in the game are pretty unique too. Sure, you get a gun, but this is no ordinary gun... It's a water gun. Yes, you can kill zombies with a water gun. =] You also get  soda cans [which are like grenades] popsicles, silverware, crucifixes, a bazooka, plates, etc. The items include, but are not limited to: various potions, one of which lets you turn into a monster, running shoes [to make you run faster, of course], toy clowns to distract enemies... etc.

Over all, Zombies Ate My Neighbors is just one of those old 16-bit classics that can be played for years and still be loved. [Unless you're growing up now and you don't know what a "Game Over" screen looks like because you lost all your lives, in which case... this makes me quite sad.] But you can buy this game and a SNES, if you don't have one, for somewhere around $50, or get it on the Wii's "Virtual Console" channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment